Pages

Dec 30, 2011

Top Seven Blog Posts of 2011

Ha ha, looks like I'm at a New Year's Eve Party - but I'm not... 

Aside from buying a new planning calendar, I typically don't pay too much attention to the change of the year on the 'Gregorian' calendar because, well, it's pagan (LOL! - no, really). But earlier this week I was reviewing my blog stats for the past year—you see my blog software categorizes and tracks the posts by month and year—anyway, some blog posts really stood out because of their substantially high number of visits. So, I thought I'd share with you my Top Seven Most Visited Blog Posts of 2011. These are not necessarily my favorites, but the most visited by you, the reader. Today's entry will be #87. Compare that to the measly nine blog entries I posted between July-December of 2010 (Man, that was lame!).

Okay, the Most Visited Blog Post of 2010 and the former All-Time Most Visited Blog Post is:

Having been in a leadership position for many years now, I've heard a multitude of reasons and excuses for missing Shabbat Service that were deemed a "Donkey in a Ditch." So, in this blog entry I briefly examine this ambiguous principle in an attempt to put it to rest. It didn't work. This was my fourth entry ever on SetYourHeart.org and it has dominated as the top ranking post for the past year and a half! But in November 2011, a new post emerged as the most visited of the year and all-time. Before we go there, I'll run through the other six. Let's start with number seven of Top Seven Most Visited Blog Posts of 2011:

7. The Pagan Origins of Thanksgiving? (Nov 1, 2011)
This was a response to the feedback I received on the post previous to it call Easter, Halloween - Same Thing (Oct 31, 2011). Can you believe that some folks actually think that Thanksgiving and the 4th of July have pagan origins? Based on the amount views, this must be a popular topic!

6. The Date of Yom HaBikkurim (Apr 21, 2011)
Every year as we approach Pesach (Passover) many questions arise. The date of Yom Habikkurim (First Fruits) is one of those questions. This is the only area where we, at FRMC, deviate from the Rabbinic calendar in regard to the Moedim. So, I figured I needed to clearly explain our reasoning and our stance. This is a popular topic in the Messianic community. I'm not surprised that it got a lot of views. It also got a few lengthy comments.

5. Self-Excommunication and Matthew 18 (Oct 27, 2011)
In this post I took issue with some comments made on the website of a congregation where I once served as a pastor. I do not intend on attacking a brother on this blog, but I will defend myself, my family and my community. Also, I am finding it necessary to challenge faulty teachings that are made in public and have the potential of negatively affecting the body, especially our local Ekklesia. So, in 2012 you might see more posts like this. "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17)

4. Classrooms Are For Girls (May 27, 2011)
I have to admit, this post gained popularity as the new public school year drew near. As teachers desperately searched the Internet for new classroom ideas, they unwittingly stumbled upon this blog entry. Ha! I hope they actually read it and took the topic to heart or did research for themselves; why not? They are teachers!

3. The "Matthew 18" Principle: A Quick Look (Jan 4, 2011)
This post was a train-of-thought response to a number of injustices that took place at a local church. This church twisted Scripture and violated Biblical Principles in disfellowshipping some members who were long-time, faithful servants. It was a classic example of an abuse of authority. As I read the Scriptures, I wrote my thoughts about the passage with these injustices in mind. I followed it up with comments as more thoughts came to mind. Be sure to read my final comment on August 29, 2011. This post got such a high ranking because it was shared extensively through email.

2. FAQ: Are You Sephardic? (Apr 29, 2011)
If you are Latino (aka Hispanic) and you are walking in Torah, at some point you will be asked if you have Sephardic Roots, if you are a Crypto-Jew or if you are a Marrano. Sometimes I am told that I am Sephardic because of my last name. This post explains my experience with the Sephardic question and I give my answer. This post was widely shared throughout Sephardic forums and websites.

Finally, the moment you've been waiting for...

The Most Visited Blog Post of 2011 
and the NEW All-Time Most Visited Blog Post is:

1. Culture of Death In Children's Clothes (Nov 16, 2011)
I guess this post was, and is still, so popular because it was something that most folks can relate to. Why on earth is the Gap printing skulls all over children's clothing and selling it as if it's okay? As if it is the normal thing to do? As soon as I posted this blog entry, it spread like wildfire. I felt like I was delivering some breaking news! Maybe I was. I felt like a journalist! Maybe I am. The reason it got so many visits is because it was posted on the homepage of a couple of online news outlets and it was widely shared on facebook and through email.

There you have it, the Top Seven Most Visited Blog Posts of 2011. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope you have enjoyed it. Next year, don't be afraid to comment on my entries and please, continue to share them with your friends through email, on facebook, on Google+, on Twitter, etc...

In case you are wondering, this is my personal favorite post of 2011:

The Pink Toothbrush (Jul 7, 2011)

I laughed as I wrote it, and I still laugh when I read it today.



~

No comments: