Pages

Dec 11, 2011

The Many Flavors of Messianic Communities

Messianic Congregations vary in flavor like these fruits.

Recently, while talking to an 'old-timer' in the Messianic Movement, I mentioned the idea of fellowship between the congregations in the Greater Messianic Community of our local area. He said, "Greater Messianic Community? There is no local Messianic Community in our area because Messianic doesn't mean anything anymore." He went on to explain that back-in-the-day (in the early 80's) the title 'Messianic' meant one thing which basically included Yeshua, the Torah, Jews and Gentiles. Nowadays the title 'Messianic' is used to describe a very wide variety of congregations with varying beliefs, doctrines and values. He lamented over the changes that he has witnessed in the Messianic Movement over the past 30 years. To him, this change has not been positive.

I began my walk in Torah at a charismatic Messianic congregation in 2000. Coming from a Catholic background with no exposure to Christian denominations, I found this charismatic expression of worship very interesting and I assumed that all Messianic congregations were just like it; but after visiting a few others I realized that they were not. Also, after investigating the Christian Church and Rabbinic Synagogues over the past 10 years, it seems to me that some Messianic congregations are just Christian Churches with a Jewish veneer and others are just Rabbinic Synagogues with Yeshua inserted here and there. There are even some congregations who call themselves 'Messianic' but deny the divinity of Yeshua! Oy vey! 

I can understand why this 'old-timer' was not happy with the changes that he has seen. I've only been doing this for a decade and I've seen some changes that I don't like; but just like God gave people their individuality, I believe every community will be and should be unique. It's the people who attend that make the community unique and special. The people are the DNA of the community.

Are you looking for a Messianic Community in Colorado? Visit: messianiccolorado.com



~

No comments: