Pages

Jan 3, 2012

Worship And Praise Are Not The Same Thing

I'm not a fan of the sermon series and, actually, I don't know of too many local pastors who can pull them off well. This past weekend, however, I heard the first sermon in a series on worship and praise and I know it's going to be a great series. I'm really excited about it and I've been thinking about it all day. The pastor started a great foundation for this teaching. I've heard this guy teach before and I know he is good at staying on topic and carefully covering everything he sets out to. That's why I know it's going to be good. Anyway, I wanted to put down some thoughts and visuals that came to mind when I heard this teaching...

Figure 1.1

People usually refer to the 'music and singing' part of a service as 'Praise and Worship.' However,  'Praise and Worship' are not the same thing. Anything you do to honor God as God is worship (Figure 1.1). Obedience is honoring to God. Praying to God is honoring to God. Putting your faith in God is honoring to God. Praising God is honoring to God.

So, praise is a form of worship.

Figure 1.2

Praise isn't just speaking words of admiration and homage. Praise is an emotional expression of delight in God. Praise can come in many forms, to name a few - musically, with singing, with dancing, and with words (Figure 1.2).

Finally, joy is the foundation of our praises to God.

At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, 
I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth..."
- Luke 10:21, NIV

Where does the joy come from?



~

No comments: