Pages

Oct 31, 2011

Easter, Halloween — Same Thing

The new chocolate covered Jack-O-Lantern Peeps.
I saw this at the gas station.

I'm not big on marshmallows but my kids are; especially in s'mores. I guess they're fun to roast over the campfire, but I don't go out of my way to buy them for myself. Growing up, I never got into the Peeps marshmallow chicks for Easter. Mom would put them in our Easter baskets but I wouldn't eat them; I'd give them away. But regardless of my opinion, Peeps have been the quintessential Easter candy for some time now. Their marshmallow chicks have been an Easter tradition for families in the U.S. since the 50's. After visiting their website I discovered that, in 1958, Peeps began expanding their line of marshmallow shaped candies to accomodate other holidays. They now have marshmallow shaped candies for Easter, Christmas, Valentines Day, and Halloween. Besides a Peeps candy tribute, what do these four holidays have in common? Unlike Independence Day and Thanksgiving, the origins of these four holidays have pagan roots. If you find this alarming, I encourage you to do some research. Below are links to Google search results that will help you begin your investigation:
For the record, I'm not saying that Peeps are pagan, but I do know they are not Kosher.



~

No comments: