Pages

Nov 1, 2011

The Pagan Origins of Thanksgiving?

The Four Turkeys of the Apocalypse?

In my previous post about the pagan roots of Easter, Christmas, Valentines Day, and Halloween I thought it was safe to make the following statement:

"Unlike Independence Day and Thanksgiving,
the origins of these four holidays have pagan roots."

But a few folks on facebook said that I was 'ignorant' for believing that the roots of Independence Day (4th of July) and Thanksgiving were not pagan. I thought it was a joke but they were serious and very passionate about their position. One of them hopes that God will have mercy on me because of my ignorance. Another said ignorance is no excuse. Uh-boy.

I don't have time to address this, but I did find an article that does address Thanksgiving:
Is Thanksgiving Day Really Pagan? (PDF, 102 KB)
by William F. Dankenbring
I don't know who the author is or what his other beliefs are; but after I skimmed this document I thought it was a good analysis and response to the claim that the origins of Thanksgiving are pagan.

As far as the 4th of July is concerned—I cannot fathom the idea that anyone would consider the commemoration of the independence of our nation as pagan. It simply boggles my mind, but as I found out, there are folks out there who really do believe this. In my opinion, this is so far off the mark it doesn't even qualify as straining a gnat.



~

No comments: