Pages

Sep 3, 2011

Eul: A Month of Repentance

The shofar (ram's horn) is blown daily during the month of Elul
as a wake-up call stimulating spiritual preparation
for the upcoming High Holidays.

This past Tuesday at sundown we began the 6th month in the Biblical calendar called Elul. It was also the beginning of a 40-day season of repentance known as Yemei Ratzon, the Days of Favor, or more accurately the Days of Divine Purpose. This 40-day period is comprised of the 30 days of Elul (Av 1 - Elul 29), and the 10 High Holy Days or Yamim Noraim, which means Days of Awe. The High Holy Days begin on the 1st of Tishrei, the 7th month in the Biblical calendar, and end on the 10th. Tishrei 1 is called Yom Teruah, the Feast of Trumpets, or more literally The Day of the Shofar Blast. Tishrei 10 is called Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement.

The month of Elul has traditionally been a time of preparing one's heart for making teshuvah, or repentance, during the High Holy Days. As believers in Messiah Yeshua we know that our sins have been atoned for, but we would do good by taking into account our walk as His disciples. What better time to do this than during Elul, the month of repentance. The Apostle Paul admonishes believers to "test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves!" (2 Corinthians 13:5a) For the believer in Yeshua, the month of Elul can serve as a time of introspection and examination of our daily walk and our relationship with Adonai and fellow members of the body of Messiah.

The following song came to mind as I was considering this idea of preparing our hearts for restoration with the Father. Maybe it will minister to you too. Enjoy.



Before You
by Randy Butler

Is there any forgiveness
For the things I've done
Is there pardon for sinners
I know that I'm one
Before You, before You

Would You take this heart of foulness
And make it clean again
Would You pour on me Your mercy
As I confess my sin
Before You, before You

(chorus)
Point my feet
In the way they should go
Place Your Holy Spirit in me
Lead me in the ways everlasting
I long to have a heart that's pure
Before You, before You



~

No comments: